May 22 (Reuters) – The Royal International Air Tattoo, one of the world’s largest defence shows, has been cancelled due to military operations linked to the Iran war, it said on Friday.
RIAT had been scheduled for July 17-19 at RAF Fairford, an active Royal Air Force base used by the U.S. Air Force, in southwest England. The airshow attracts more than 150,000 visitors every year.
“This has not been an easy decision. It follows extensive discussions with the Royal Air Force and the United States Air Force regarding uncertainty over access to RAF Fairford, given the ongoing situation in the Middle East,” RIAT said on its website.
The use of British military bases by U.S. forces for the Iran war became a point of tension between Prime Minister Keir Starmer and President Donald Trump.
In March, Starmer said Britain would allow limited use of its bases but would not join offensive strikes on Iran.
British-based defence analyst Francis Tusa said preparations for the annual event – organised by an RAF charity – tie up the base, which is leased by the U.S. Air Force, for weeks.
“It is an indication that there is no guarantee that the potential for further Iran conflict will be over by July,” he said.
“Every week that the B-52s and B-1s did not go home has raised questions about RIAT.”
The organisation said it intended to hold the show in 2027.
(Reporting by Andy Bruce, additional reporting by Tim Hepher, editing by Sam Tabahriti and Barbara Lewis)

Comments